Syringe Infusion Pump SafetyBack to Courses
- Identify indications for infusion pump use
- Define mechanical and physical terms associated with infusion pumps (slack, striction, flexure, etc.)
- Describe mitigation methods to prevent medication delivery delays associated with infusion pump use
- Explain how syringe and tubing size, orientation, and compliance impact flow stability and medication delivery
- Identify the factors associated with infusion pump alarms
- Describe how physical positioning of the pump in relation to patient impacts medication delivery
- Identify complications and implications associated with air bubbles in infusion pump syringes
This course teaches the principles and techniques of syringe infusion pump use that will help learners deliver the best outcomes for patients.
Did You Know...
- From 2005 through 2009, FDA received approximately 56,000 reports of adverse events associated with the use of infusion pumps, including numerous injuries and deaths
- According to the 2017 annual ECRI report, infusion pump errors are the number one health technology safety concern to watch out for
- A new multihospital study calculated that more than half of infusions of IV medications contained errors and the majority of these errors were due to deviations in hospital policy