Traumatic Brain InjuryBack to Courses
- Summarize the prevalence of TBI and PBA
- Describe the incidence of agitation in relation to TBI patients
- Employ tools to assess agitation in TBI patients
- Perform differential diagnosis before confirming diagnosis of TBI
- Understand how to modulate agitation and disruptive behavior in TBI patients
- Describe treatment options (pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic)
This course covers the treatment of agitated patients, including environmental adaptation, thoughtful medication decisions, and frequent reassessment for continuing or worsening symptoms.
Did You Know...
- The CDC estimates that in 2010, TBIs accounted for approximately 2.5 million ED visits, hospitalizations, and deaths in the United States
- The percentage of patients with TBI reported to suffer from agitation ranges from 11% to 70%, with a mean incidence of 46%
- Studies have shown that TBI patients who experience agitation experience longer hospital stays and poorer outcomes