Laboratory Specimen Collection and LabelingBack to Courses
- State the significance of laboratory accrediting agencies
- Explain proper patient identity protocols
- State the significance of collected volume
- Explain the effects of contaminated blood cultures
- Support proper specimen collection
- Identify properly labeled specimens
This course orients learners to proper specimen collection and labeling procedures.
Did You Know...
- Specimen labeling errors have long plagued the laboratory industry, putting patients at risk of transfusion-related death, medication errors, misdiagnosis, and patient mismanagement.
- It has been estimated that >160000 adverse patient events occur each year in the US because of patient or specimen identification errors involving the laboratory.
- Eleven percent of all transfusion deaths occur as a result of the phlebotomist not properly identifying the patient or mislabeling a tube of blood.
- A 2009 Q-Probes study found the rate of tube mislabeling of blood bank samples to be 1.12%.