- Discuss efforts designed to minimize the risk of occupational exposures to infectious diseases
- Explain methods to prevent the spread of infection
- Discuss the impact of community-acquired and healthcare associated infections
- Identify barriers and personal protective equipment for protection from exposure to potentially infectious material
- Summarize the engineering, work practice, and environmental controls that protect against healthcare-associated infections
- Describe the chain of infection as it applies to infection prevention and control
- Define key terms related to infection prevention and control
Infection prevention and control training ensure that healthcare professionals understand how pathogens are transmitted in the work environment from patient to healthcare worker, healthcare worker to patient, patient to patient, and within the same patient. This course explores basic infection prevention practices such as hand hygiene, PPE use, and transmission based precautions. It also teaches about HAIs, bloodborne pathogens, and antimicrobial stewardship.