Compliance: Emergency Preparedness
- Understand the factors used to establish the Emergency Preparedness Program (EPP)
- Become familiar with hospital emergency preparedness plans and systems
- Understand Personal Preparedness
- Know where to find key emergency equipment and information
- Understand the three Basic Steps to Safety (Recognize, Alert, Respond) and how to perform them
- Recognize the different types of security, facility, medical, and weather alerts
- Perform techniques and guidelines used in emergency situations
- Know how to respond to fire and weather alerts
This course provides guidelines to follow when faced with an emergency event or potential disaster situation. This includes what to do when you are at work or at home when an emergency occurs. A significant part of the hospital’s overall preparedness program involves keeping staff and their families safe at home so that they are able to come to work and help the hospital fulfill its mission.
Topics covered include:
- Hospital emergency preparedness plans and systems
- Personal preparedness
- Emergency equipment
- Safety steps (Recognize, Alert, Respond)
- Security, facility, medical, and weather alerts
- Techniques and guidelines used in emergency situations
Did you know…
- Disasters occur nearly every day in the United States, and the frequency is increasing. This includes such diverse events as storms, droughts, wildfires, floods, earthquakes, chemical and industrial accidents, burns, mass shootings and bombings, and epidemics.
- All sickened or injured people require a well-prepared public health and healthcare system.
- The number of people killed by disasters depends not only on the severity of the event itself but also on our ability to respond effectively and treat the ill or injured.
Course at a Glance
Target Audience: Clinicians & Staff
Time to Complete: 30 Minutes
Contributor: Partners Healthcare, MedStar
Partners Healthcare and MedStar
Partners Healthcare is a not-for-proft health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community locally and globally.
MedStar SiTEL combines the smartest ideas in education and technology to drive better performance in people and safer care for patients.