Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic
As our nation strives to “flatten the curve”, we must protect and maintain the capacity of our health system to serve. We do that by keeping our frontline staff safe and available. Protecting them will help protect their families, their patients, and the community at large.
New Guidelines Regarding PPE Usage
In contrast to many other training resources that have recently surfaced, this course focuses on known areas of misunderstanding regarding use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), while also directly addressing the consequences of PPE shortages.
Built with leading infection control and safety experts from ECRI and academic institutions, this course is meant to arm caregivers for the ongoing battle. It addresses measures that caregivers sometimes forget. For example, a 2018 study on infectious agent transmission in hospitals found 238 failures in 325 observations related to PPE.
Importantly, the course acknowledges that PPE supplies are dwindling and highlights effective equipment workarounds that are being broadly disseminated. Guidelines for PPE use will be frequently reviewed and adjusted, with course refreshers delivered to all caregivers.
Infection Prevention and COVID-19 Essentials
This course is designed to arm our healthcare workers for battle. It not only provides refresher training on the basics of infection prevention as it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic, but is continuously updated with the latest guidelines as new developments unfold.
Learning objectives include:
- Discuss the proper application (donning) and removal (doffing) of Personal Protective Equipment PPE and commonly observed mistakes
- Identify potential safe responses to PPE shortages
- Summarize the indications for respirator use, including selection, allocation, proper use, extended use, and reuse
- Use proper hand hygiene techniques
Topics specifically related to COVID-19 include:
- Clarifying Interim Guidances from CDC, FDA, OSHA, CMS, and relevant regulatory bodies
- COVID-19 signs and symptoms
- Population susceptibility
- Asymptomatic transmission
This activity is jointly provided by PIM and Amplifire and is designated for 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ or 0.5 ANCC contact hour of continuing education.
Get the Course and Refresh Your Staff on PPE Usage
Complete the form below and we will be in touch with you.